Thousands of Unclaimed Economic Stimulus Checks - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Thousands of Unclaimed Economic Stimulus Checks

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON--There are two options. If you have at least $3,000 dollars income and haven't filed your tax return, make sure you do.

Or you can fill out a form. Both are ways to get at least $300.00 dollars, $600.00 dollars if you're married.

An IRS report shows almost 9,000 local retirees and disabled veterans haven't filed for their economic stimulus payments.

More than 7,000 alone live in Benton-Franklin and Yakima County. Walla Walla also has a large number of people who haven't yet claimed their money.

One man who works closely with veterans thinks he knows why.

"We've got a lot of veterans that don't trust the government, flat and simple," admits Steve Prince, Vietnam Veterans of America. It's from the way they were treated. And the way the kids now are being treated. so, they don't want anything to do with the government."

For people who do not need to file a tax return, all you have to do is fill out a 1040 A form.

Stop by your local post office to pick one up.