Homeowner Contains Fire in Garage; Possibly Saves Home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Homeowner Contains Fire in Garage; Possibly Saves Home

Posted: Updated:
KENNEWICK, Wash.--Kennewick Fire Battalion Chief, Vince Beasley, told KNDU the homeowner did a very basic and simple thing.

He closed a door inside his Elm Street home that leads to the garage.

Earlier Thursday (June 26th) night, the homeowner was driving his vintage Corvette around town and smelled an strange odor.

After coming back home, he parked it in the garage and started working in the backyard.

15 minutes later, the man's wife saw smoke coming from the garage.

He decided to check the garage and felt heat.

"He then closed the door behind him which reduced the oxygen supply which kept the fire smaller for us, making our job a lot easier," mentions Beasley.

No one was injured.

Fire Chief Beasley says an engine malfunction is likely the source.

If there is a fire in your home, Beasley recommends closing doors. Opening a door can actually feed the fire.

The man's Corvette was only 1/2,000 made and was scheduled to be in a local car show this weekend.

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/