MADISON 2008: Steve David and David Bryant win Heat 1A, 1B - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

MADISON 2008: Steve David and David Bryant win Heat 1A, 1B

Posted: Updated:
U-10 damages rudder in Heat 1B win, withdraws for the day U-10 damages rudder in Heat 1B win, withdraws for the day

MADISON, Ind. - After an entire morning of delays due to rising river levels and floating debris, Unlimited Hydroplane racing finally got underway in Madison, the second stop on the ABRA racing tour for 2008.

River delays and debris (Photos and Video) >>
U-6/David top qualifying times >>

Heat 1A Results

  1. U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison - Steve David
  2. U-5 - Jeff Bernard
  3. U-7 - Mike Allen
  4. U-100 - Greg Hopp

A new rule for Madison this year: boats can't pass the exit pit of turn one prior to one minute before the start.  As Steve David trolled in lane one right by the exit pin, Jeff Bernard timed it well, hit the exit pin and took over lane one from David right before the start.

Bernard took them over the start line and led the pack for the first lap.  It looked like Bernard had the speed to hold everyone off.  "Normally when we take off like that, we should be able to hold 'em off," said Jeff Bernard.

"It's easier to pass in the turns. It's almost impossible for pass in the straightaways (at Madison)," David said before the race.  That's exactly what he did, overtaking Bernard in the far turn and taking the lead for lap two.  From there, David increased the lead by half the course and cruised to an easy victory.

"That (win) was really important to us," said David. 

Heat 1B Results

  1. U-10 Ahern Rentals - David Bryant
  2. U-50 Spirit of the Navy - Brian Perkins
  3. U-37 Beacon Plumbing - Jean Theoret

    DNF.  U-3 Master Tire - Jimmy King

Limited time on the course due to debris and delays meant not much opportunity for timing runs.  That had a major impact on Heat 1B.

David Bryant in the U-10 did the best job of timing with the new exit pin rule and simply outran the pack.  Brian Perkins in the U-50 got big air coming across the start/finish line, but managed to bring the boat back down and follow.  Jean Theoret in the U-37 left the exit pin before the start too early and had to circle back through the infield. 

Jimmy King had a loss of engine oil pressure with the U-3 and took it off-course shortly after the heat began. 

"It was really bumpy," said Perkins, talking about the water.  The heat was delayed and there was some confusion about whether the heat would be delayed again.  "It left everybody confused.  I was pretty late with the start," said Perkins.

"We hit the start," Bryant told WORX. "Nobody else did. We hit our marks and everybody else was a little off."