Electrical Shortage Causes Van to Catch Fire in Gleed
GLEED, Wash-- Firefighters said there was really nothing that could be done to prevent this car fire off of Highway 12 just west of Yakima. It was an electrical shortage.
The mother of the woman who owns the Ford van noticed smoke coming from the hood around 2:00 this afternoon. She then called 911. At the same time, a family driving by noticed the smoke and also called for help.
You could see the thick black smoke from several miles away. The Gleed Fire Department sent three fire engines to the scene.
"We had a van fire, electrical fire. Not a lot we can do about it. Electrical fires happen and unfortunately it was it's turn," said Ken Frazier, Gleed firefighter.
The heat from the flames popped the front two tires. And charred the rest of the vehicle, completely melting the interior. Firefighters said electrical fires are unpredictable and that the heat was likely not a factor. No one was injured.