Teen stung by scorpion in Tumwater WA motel
Associated Press - July 12, 2008 12:15 PM ET
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - A 17-year-old boy staying at a Tumwater motel was stung by a scorpion and had to be treated at a hospital
Wendy Holman says she was told her son, Kyle, was the first patient to be treated for a scorpion sting at Olympia's Providence St. Peter Hospital in 37 years.
The mother says staff members at the hospital all came to look at the scorpion.
In the United States, scorpions are most common in southern Arizona, central Texas and central Oklahoma.
Motel officials theorize a truck driver from another state must have left the quarter-size scorpion in the room.
The mother says the Holmans were at the motel for about a week when her son felt something funny on his leg, and it went numb. He called 911 and was taken to Providence, which verified it was a scorpion sting.
Kyle Holman was medicated and monitored for about six hours at the hospital.
Wendy Holman says the motel company is allowing the family to stay there for free and agreed to pay for the teenager's medical bills.
Information from: The Olympian, http://www.theolympian.com
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.