Kennewick Home Destroyed By Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Kennewick Home Destroyed By Fire

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash.-- A house on the 3300 block of West 47th Avenue went up in flames just after 3:00 p.m. Monday night. 

Kennewick firefighters and witnesses say the fire started in the garage of the house, then spread to the rest of the home.  Fire crews say there was one woman inside and at least one dog,  but all made it out safely.

The fire threatened other homes nearby because of the 20 to 30 mile per hour winds that were  blowing embers around the neighborhood. Fire Marshall Mark Yaden says, "We really had the potential here to have several houses going up at one time.  So, their efforts were on the vegetation around the structures.   This structure was throwing embers for quite a distance down the hill."  The siding on a neighboring house melted due to the heat from the fire, however all other houses were saved.

Yaden says the fire is believed to be cooking-related, but wasn't sure of an exact cause.  KNDU spoke with the ex-husband of the woman who was there when the fire started, and he said she was cooking earlier in the afternoon, threw away grease wrapped with paper towels in a plastic container in the garage, and that's what he believes started the fire.

The home, which had a for sale sign in the yard, is a complete loss.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/