YAKIMA, Wash.- Many people keep hazardous chemicals like cleaning liquids under their sinks but when these chemicals get old or you mix them together, you could see dangerous results. Yesterday a woman who lives on 11th Avenue was trying to unclog her sink drain. She used Draino and when it didn't work, she added more cleaners to try to fix the sink. The Department of Ecology and The Fire Department both responded to this call.
"A lot of people don't read it, they think if a little is good, more is even better and that's when they get into trouble," said Abel Castilleja, the Yakima Fire Chief Batallion.
Firefighters say this is a common mistake. The chemicals used to clog the drain spilled onto the street and firefighters say there were fumes in the house when they arrived. Firefighters suggest getting professional help or making sure to not mix these chemicals. Some chemicals are stronger than others so you should always read the directions before you use them.