The Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum is working with Bill Boeing, Jr., Mira Slovak , Ron Jones, Sr. and a couple of very generous benefactors to build a replica of the Miss Wahoo.
Construction started on September 15th and is weeks ahead of the timeline established by previous similar projects.
Executive director David Williams holds part of the tail of the original Miss Wahoo above the 17 newly completed frames that will make up the inner structure of the replica of one of the most famous Unlimiteds of its era. Williams has stepped into the role of Project Manager, replacing the late Roger Newton.
Built in 1956 by Les Staudacher from a Ted Jones design, she flew the burgee of the Seattle Yacht Club. Miss Wahoo ran her first two years with an Allison engine, and then switched to a Rolls Royce Merlin. The mahogany boat with red and white trim is 28½ feet long, has an 11½-foot beam and weighed 5,200 pounds. In 1957, she won the Mapes Trophy Race at Lake Tahoe. Owner William Boeing, Jr. retired her for the 1958 season. In 1959 her U number was changed from U-77 to U-101.5.