House where Duncan victims died to be demolished
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho. - The home along Interstate 90 where Joseph Edward Duncan killed three members of a family will be demolished soon.
Attorneys say they no longer need the house for evidence in the case against Duncan. The Idaho Transportation Department owns the house and says it will be removed soon.
Duncan burst into the home in 2005 and beat three family members to death with a hammer so he could kidnap and molest Shasta and Dylan Groene. He has been sentenced to death.
This news comes after Duncan told a federal court judge that he does not want to appeal his death row sentence.
In the letter to U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge filed Tuesday, Duncan said any appeal initiated on his behalf was done against his wishes. The notice came the day after Duncan's standby attorneys filed a formal notice that he would be appealing his case to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Duncan was given three death sentences and three life imprisonment sentences in federal court earlier this year for the 205 kidnapping, sexual abuse and torture of 9-year-old Dylan Groene and 8-year-old Shasta Groene, and for Dylan's murder. He was also given three life imprisonment sentences in state court for the murder of their older brother, Slade Groene, their mother, Brenda Groene, and her fiance, Mark McKenzie.