YAKIMA--Shoppers aren't buying just presents, they're also buying holiday decorations. While they brighten up the holidays, they also create more fire hazards.
Firefighters say there are two important things to remember: don't buy a dry tree, and don't overload your electrical outlets.
There is going to be extra fire danger when you bring a tree into your home, but you can limit the risk by being smart.
Make sure the tree isn't dried out. If needles fall off the tree when you shake it, don't buy it. Once you take it home, cut the end off and water it regularly. Set the tree up away from fireplaces, candles or other open flames.
Firefighters say Christmas trees aren't the only concern.
"It may not be so much the tree itself but people will use space heaters with it being a little colder out, or they'll be running lights inside lights outside and other decorations all off one extension cord."
In fact, YFD says they see more electrical fires during this time of year than at any other time. They say you shouldn't connect more than three strands of lights.
LED lights are better than the larger ones, and try not to use extension cords. Surge protectors are a much safer idea.