Home Burns In Burbank After Family Tries Thawing Pipes With Heater - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Home Burns In Burbank After Family Tries Thawing Pipes With Heater

Posted: Updated:

BURBANK, Wash.-- Fire fighters in Burbank were putting out a fire for nearly five hours on Tuesday.

A trailer on Basin Drive in burned inside and out. Tammy Porter tells us this is her mother's house.

Her 23-year-old sister and her two young children were there. Tammy says the pipes under the sink were frozen, and her sister was trying to thaw them by using a heater.

Tammy's mother wasn't home when this happened.

"Leave your pipes running, leave them trickling, don't leave them not trickling, because they will freeze up, and thawing them the wrong way, or thawing them not the right way will cause bad things can happen," said Tammy Porter.

"If anybody's got anything that can help the little girls for Christmas would be awesome," said Porter.

Tammy tells us her mother has lived in this home for years. She is disabled and lost her motorized wheelchair.

The family is safe with relatives. The fire started at 2:00 p.m., and Tammy says firefighters left just minutes before we arrived around 8:00 p.m.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/