Mattress Goes up in Flames, Firefighters Warn of Heater Safety - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Mattress Goes up in Flames, Firefighters Warn of Heater Safety

Posted: Updated:

RICHLAND, Wash--  Firefighters want to make sure your furniture doesn't catch fire.  On Friday, a mattress caught on fire at a home in Richland.

The Batallion Chief tells us it was likely the result of children throwing a pillow near the baseboard heater, which then caught fire.  For your safety, crews recommend keeping distance between heaters and furniture.

"Go around your house and make sure nothing's pushed against your baseboard heater, like cardboard boxes, or a sofa, or anything else that's combustible," says Batallion Chief Kurt Hubele of the Richland Fire Department.

Firefighters say to be safe, keep everything at least 18 inches away from heaters.  They also say these types of fires aren't unusual, especially this time of year.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/