Outdated Construction Techniques Lead To Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Outdated Construction Techniques Lead To Fire

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--A Yakima family gets a scare after an electrical outlet starts smoking right in front of them.  It happened at about 8:00 p.m. Saturday night on the 1300 block of S. 44th Ave.

Firefighters could not find the fire's source in the house's wiring, so they tore up the wall above the fireplace.

They found that a piece of wood above the fireplace had been gradually burning for several years.  Saturday night, it finally burst into flames.

"It's scary knowing that this has been going on for a few years," Craig Foglesong, tenant, said.   "How many other old homes out there have this behind the walls?"

Firefighters said mortar between bricks in  the wall was failing or not even there, making that area of the wall exceptionally hot.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/