YAKIMA--A fire in Yakima damages a family's garage. No one was injured, but they did lose a crucial part of their family.
The Jennings' workshop housed a garage, greenhouse, and a chicken coop. Firefighters stopped the early-morning fire quickly, but not fast enough to save the family's 35 hens.
Crews responded to the blaze in the 19-hundred block of S. 46th Ave. at 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning. By that time flames filled the chicken coop and greenhouse.
The cold and snow made fighting the fire difficult ... As did the lack of available hydrants. Firefighters say people can make those more accessible, and that can be invaluable.
"Make sure your fire hydrant is clear," Battalion Chief Tom Sevigny, Yakima Fire Department, said. "We can't clear all them but if you can make sure as the snowplows go through or you're shoveling snow that you don't bury your hydrant. That is absolutely crucial."
Sevigny said old electrical wiring caused the fire and estimates the damages at $25,000.
Crews did get the blaze under control before it spread to the garage, where the family kept two vehicles.
The Jennings do have insurance. They plan to rebuild the shop.