SELAH--A Selah family loses their vehicles after a fire starts in their garage. Firefighters don't know what started the fire yet.
The family was shaken up and didn't want to talk, but one person said she heard several booms. Another neighbor saw the smoke billowing and quickly realized something was wrong.
The fire started at about 9:20 a.m. Sunday on the 1200 block of McGonagle Road. By the time firefighters got there, the blaze had spread through the entire garage.
Firefighers said fighting a garage fire can be more dangerous than other fires. They are hard to control and can be especially destructive.
"It makes it more difficult with these types of fires because the contents inside of these buildings contain more fire," Acting Lt. Gabe Wagner, Selah Fire Department, said. "[They're] hard to put out and need more water [and] more personnel."
Firefighters had to pull much of the wreckage out of the garage in order to put out the last remnants of the fire.
The family kept two cars, a snowmobile, and tools in the garage. Firefighters estimate the damage at $50,000.