Two Yakima Fires Caused By Carelessness In Kitchen - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Two Yakima Fires Caused By Carelessness In Kitchen

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--Fire crews respond to two fires in Yakima just a minute apart from each other, and both fires started almost the same way.  Firefighters told KNDO that both fires started because someone left food on the stove.

Both blazes started right around 11:45 a.m. on Friday, one on the 2600 block of Jerome Ave. and the other on S. 26th Ave.  The Yakima Fire Department had to call in Selah and West Valley crews because both fires happened at the same time.

Firefighters said both were preventable.

Cooking is a leading cause of house fires.  There are some simple steps that can prevent them.

"We need people to remember to stay with your pan," Chief Mitch Cole, Yakima Fire Department, said.  "If you do need to leave the kitchen, use a timer to remind you.  Keep combustibles like wooden spoons and packages away from the stovetop."

Cole said that having a clean oven and stove will also prevent fires.

The fire on Jerome Ave. did about $35,000 worth of damage.

The fire on S. 26th Ave. cost an estimated $2,000.
     No one was hurt.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/