Execution of Cal Brown Scheduled For Early Friday at Walla Walla Penitentiary - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Execution of Cal Brown Scheduled For Early Friday at Walla Walla Penitentiary

Posted: Updated:

WALLA WALLA, Wash-- Early on Friday, Washington's first execution in eight years is scheduled to take place.

Cal Brown was given the death penalty for the murder of a woman back in May of 1991. Wednesday his very last appeal was denied.

Brown was supposed to be executed back in 2005 and 2007, but stays of execution pushed back both dates. This time, Friday a little after midnight, he will face what he was sentenced to more than a decade ago.

In May of 1991 Brown had been out of prison for a couple of months in Oregon, for an attack seven years earlier on a woman. He violated his parole and went to Seattle, that's where he committed the crime he's sentenced to death for.

"It sort of bothers me to think that i would even be capable, just sort of bugs me," said Brown in a taped confession.

This is Holly Washa, a 22 year-old, who had recently moved to Burien from Nebraska in hopes to become a flight attendant. On May 24th 1991, she was leaving a hotel parking lot near Sea-Tac Airport when Brown pointed to her rear tire, saying there was a problem. When she opened her car door he carjacked her at knifepoint.

"It's the type of crime that counts not the number of victims. Holly Washa was put through so much and I think it became so apparent to them during the trial that there was really only one penalty for that type of crime," said Al Matthews, 1993 King County Prosecutor.

For almost two days he raped and tortured Washa before stabbing and strangling her to death and leaving her body in the trunk of her own car in an airport parking lot. He even confessed to testing an electrical cord he was using to shock Washa on himself.

"I tested it on myself, I know it caused pain," said Brown in a taped confession.

Brown then flew to California where he robbed, raped and attempted to murder another woman. He was arrested and then admitted in a taped confession to murdering Washa.

"He's tortured and killed enough now there will be no more fear of him putting anyone else and their families through the loss and tears of a loved one again," said a Washa Family Spokesperson.

For Cal Brown's last meal he has chosen pizza, apple pie, and soda with ice.