Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Share of workers in physically demanding jobs: 11.2%
- Average wage for physically demanding jobs: $40,374
- Average wage for all occupations: $45,670
- Total employment in protective services: 7,930
- Total employment in construction & extraction: 18,420
- Total employment in installation & repair: 23,010
In the Grand Rapids metro area, only 1.4 percent of all employees are in protective services. Many of the physically demanding jobs in Grand Rapids are in installation and repair, with 4.1 percent of workers employed in this sector. Notably, one of the biggest employers in Grand Rapids is the UPM Blandin Paper Mill, which requires workers to perform maintenance and repairs.