franklin county ois

12-13-19 UPDATE:

FRANKLIN COUNTY, WA - The Franklin County Sheriff's Office has provided an update regarding the fatal deputy-involved shooting on November 18th, now releasing the names of the three authorities involved and stating that they have returned to work after providing statements.

The statement released Friday, Dec. 13 reads as follows:

"Between the 22nd of November 2019 and the 26th of November 2019 Franklin County Sheriff’s Deputies voluntarily provided statements to the Special Investigations Unit.

"Deputy Cody Quantrell is the deputy whom discharged his firearm during this event. Deputy Quantrell has voluntarily provided a full explanation leading up to the use of force. Deputy Gardner also voluntarily provided a full accounts of what was witnessed as well as Sgt. Gordon Thomasson.

"Effective December 3, 2019, and after an initial administrative review, all three deputies have returned to work. Deputy Quantrell has been assigned administrative duties within the Sheriff Office until the investigation is reviewed.

"The Special Investigations Unit continues to gather information concerning the November 18th, Deputy Involved Shooting Incident and will forward the results to the Franklin County Prosecutor’s Office once their investigation is complete."

11-22-19 UPDATE:

FRANKLIN COUNTY, WA - A few more details have been released regarding the Franklin County deputy-involved shooting that left a man dead in the early hours of November 18th.

The Franklin County Sheriff's Office released a statement that gave a better timeline of the events that transpired, now detailed as follows:

2:45 a.m. - The SECOMM 9-1-1 dispatch center got a phone call from someone in the 2000 block of West Fir Road reporting a suspicious occupied vehicle in front of the house. The caller requested deputies respond, but could not give a description of the vehicle because of darkness. Three deputies responded in separate patrol cars. 

2:58 a.m. - The first responding deputy arrived at the area of the 9-1-1 call, shortly followed by the other two deputies. They were not able to find the suspicious vehicle and expanded their search area.

3:14 a.m. - Near Sagehill and R-170, a deputy found and reported a vehicle traveling northbound at a high rate of speed - about 10 miles north of the original call. Deputies reported they were trying to stop the vehicle, which then turned into a pursuit.

3:24 a.m. - One of the pursuing deputies made contact with the driver of the vehicle near Sagehill and Wahluke, after the driver stopped in the roadway. The deputy discharged his firearm during the contact, but the circumstances leading up to the discharging of the firearm are unknown at this time and there were no witnesses during the shots fired, including the other two deputies.

3:25 a.m. - The pursuit ended in a field near Sagehill and Hendricks. Deputies began giving first aid to the driver and requested an ambulance.

The press release concludes that "The Special Investigations Unit continues to gather information. Arrangements are being undertaken by the SIU to interview the involved deputies."


FRANKLIN COUNTY, WA - The man who died in the deputy-involved shooting has been identified as 28-year-old Dante Redmond Jones of Pasco. The coroner has confirmed that his cause of death was gunshot wounds to the torso and body extremities (hands and feet), following an autopsy. 

Three Franklin County deputies are currently on administrative leave after an deputy-involved shooting in northern Franklin County that left one man dead.

Deputies responded to reports of a prowler in the area of Sagehill Road and Hollingsworth Road at 3:15 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 18.

According to the Franklin County Sheriff Jim Raymond, deputies were searching for the prowler in the area when a vehicle passed them at a high rate of speed. Deputies began following the vehicle and tried to pull it over to see if it was connected to the prowler.

During the chase, the vehicle stopped in the roadway. A deputy tried to approach the vehicle and then reported shots fired. 

The two other deputies approached as the vehicle sped away, leaving the roadway and driving into a field, where it collided with a patrol car. The vehicle then stopped. Deputies found the driver, Jones, seriously injured and pulled him from the vehicle before giving first aid. An ambulance later arrived and took Jones to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The three deputies were treated for minor injuries at an area hospital and cleared, then placed on administrative leave.

This is an ongoing investigation currently being handled by the Special Investigations Unit. 

Recommended for you